Re: What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-23 17:03:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Bruce,

Hmmm ... lessons of MySQL:

-- Marketing matters more than technical quality
(not news, Microsoft taught us that)
-- You can often get away with pretending to have features
you don't actually have with enough spin
(Microsoft also outshines MySQL in this area)
-- Educated Database Administrators are in short supply,
and as a result nobody cares about the SQL standard or
relational theory anymore
(Fabian Pascal could have told you that; according to him,
the whole DB industry has been in steady decline since 1994)
-- Commerical companies are uncomfortable with Real Open Source,
and prefer the pseudo-open-source offered by dual-licensing
companies

This last lesson was really driven home to me at the Open Source Business
Convention; managers were slavering all over "dual licensing" as the "new
model of open source." When I pointed out that there's another name for
dual licensing -- "shareware" -- I got some real uncomfortable silences.
Seems that a lot of companies want the fruits of Open Source without changing
the way they do business at all. Big surprise, eh?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions