Re: CSV patch applied

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CSV patch applied
Date: 2004-04-20 15:41:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Fabien COELHO wrote:

> > >FORCE QUOTE
>
> QUOTING col1,col2?
> QUOTED col1,col2?
> IN QUOTES col1,cold

> > >NO NULL CHECK
>
> QUOTED (meaning 'as quoted')?
>
> From a language design point of view, I think it may be better to stick
> to one word versions?

I understand, and we tried that. The confusion is that FORCE forces
quotes on non-NULL values, while LITERAL forces quotes on NULL values,
so while both deal with quoting, their functionality is different for
input and output. They same single keyword just seemed confusing.

This is why the two-keyword idea sounds good to me --- we use the word
QUOTE (already a keyword), and then say FORCE for output, and NULL for
input:

FORCE QUOTE
QUOTE NULL

--