Re: Data replication

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data replication
Date: 2004-04-20 11:35:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:08:12AM +0300, GP wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am quite new in Postgresql and I am wondering if it supports data
> replication.

Yes. There are several projects supporting it, some in contrib/ and
some on the gborg.postgresql.org site. My employer, Afilias uses
erserver today, and that is available from the gborg site. It's a
pain to administer, and there are a number of fairly significant
limitations, but it works. Note that I do not speak for my employer.

Afilias is also supporting a new project, Slony-I, also available
from the gborg site. IT'S NOT READY YET, but the work is progressing
quickly (thanks to my colleague Jan Wieck), and if you're just
starting a project which will go to production in 6 months' time or
more, I'd suggest starting with Slony right now. Don't use it in
production, yet, however. I think it's safe to say that it isn't
ready for that.

In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
--Brad Holland