Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, lutzeb(at)aeccom(dot)com, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon
Date: 2004-04-19 21:55:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joe,

> I've got a quad 2.8Ghz MP Xeon (IBM x445) that I could test on. Does
> anyone have a test set that can reliably reproduce the problem?

Unfortunately we can't seem to come up with one. So far we have 2 machines
that exhibit the issue, and their databases are highly confidential (State of
WA education data).

It does seem to require a database which is in the many GB (> 10GB), and a
situation where a small subset of the data is getting hit repeatedly by
multiple processes. So you could try your own data warehouse, making sure
that you have at least 4 connections hitting one query after another.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions