Re: Problem starting postgresql !!

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: rahul <rd(at)hclinfinet(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem starting postgresql !!
Date: 2004-04-05 18:50:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Monday 29 March 2004 02:51 am, rahul wrote:
> I had postgresql 7.3 rpm installed on redhat 9 platform. i removed it
> and downloaded and installed following rpm's from ur ftp site:-

> An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade
> the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4/README.rpm-dist for more information.

> could u please let me know, how to get rid of this problem.

If you did not have any data you want to keep, run 'rm
-rf /var/lib/pgsql/data/* ' and execute the initscript again.

If you DO have data you want to keep, you need to reinstall the old version,
dump its data, remove the old/install the new, blow out the directory, start
the new, and restore your data.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology