Re: PITR for replication?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "J(dot) Andrew Rogers" <jrogers(at)neopolitan(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PITR for replication?
Date: 2004-04-02 16:47:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew,

> I may be completely missing the point here, but it looks to me as though
> the PITR archival mechanism is also most of a native replication
> facility. Is there anyone reason this couldn't be extended to
> replication, and if so, is anyone planning on using it as such?

I believe that Command Prompt's "Mammoth Replicator" works on something like
log shipping. There are both advantages and disadvantages to the approach,
meaning that we will still need other replication strategies, like Slony and
DBMirror.

Also, the jump from PITR --> Log Shipping is not a trivial one.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions