Re: SQL extension

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Cyrille Gautard <cyrille(dot)gautard(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL extension
Date: 2004-03-29 15:08:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 29 March 2004 14:17, Cyrille Gautard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a postgresql database and it might be update with a xml file. I
> want to write an extension to SQL (the function update_from_xml) which
> be call in a client program. The xml file will not be passed as a
> postgresql argument to the function because it is an external file.
>
> How can I do to get rid of this problem ? If it's not possible, do you
> have another solution ?

You perhaps want to look at the large-object support in PG.

However, if the xml file is not readable by the database backend you are going
to have to pass it through the client anyway.

PS - there is some xml-related stuff in the contrib/ directory of the source
distribution. Don't know if any of it is of use to you.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd