Re: Fuzzy cost comparison to eliminate redundant planning

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fuzzy cost comparison to eliminate redundant planning
Date: 2004-03-29 06:20:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Do we know in the optimizer whether we will be needing cheapest startup
> > or not?
>
> No. Higher levels might want either.
>
> > Is the middle one kept because the optimizer has to mix the startup plus
> > some percentage of the total cost for queries using LIMIT?
>
> Right. There are potentially some ranges of LIMIT for which it could
> win, I believe. Maybe with some math you could prove there is no range
> in which the other two don't dominate it, but I suspect the extra logic
> would slow down add_path more than it's worth.

What if we take the total cost and divide it by the number of rows returned ---
then we have a per-row cost for each plan. Then we subtract the two, and
that difference compared to the difference in startup costs tell us how
many rows could potentially use this plan.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us