Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier)
Cc: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier), alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com (Alex), postgresql(at)finner(dot)de (Frank Finner), pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 04:45:24
Lists: pgsql-general

> Just curious ... restricting \l itself isn't too difficult ... but how
> does MySQL restrict the ability to do something like:
>
> SELECT datname FROM pg_database;
>
> or does it not have an equivalent to that?

I'm not much of an expert in MySQL, but on my ISP 'show databases' only
shows MY databases.

I find MySQL's security tables arcane and confusing, but it may be that
I'm just more familiar with the way PG does it, because from the traffic
on the pgsql-general list it seems like questions about how to set up
the pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf are commonplace.

I also wonder how well the pg_hba.conf method will scale. What happens
if there are hundreds of client databases or thousands of entries in
pg_hba.conf?
--
Mike Nolan