postgres copy command very slow.

From: Hemapriya <priyam_1121(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres copy command very slow.
Date: 2004-03-26 20:33:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

We have postgresql 7.4.1 running on Mac OS.we are
doing a conversion from mysql to postgres. I'm
importing the table dumps using copy command in
postgres. Copy takes 2 min to import 427938 rows in
one table and at the same time it takes more than 2
hrs for 2415768 rows.. no of columns are similar in
both the tables. i'm not able to figure out why it is
getting too slower?

Does anyone know why there is lot of difference in
performance?

Any hint is highly appreciated.

regards
Priya