Re: postgresql equivalent to ms access parameter query

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "David P(dot) Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql equivalent to ms access parameter query
Date: 2004-03-24 15:05:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- "David P. Lurie" <dbase4(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I presume that a connection string would be
> something like:
>
> connection_name.Open "Provider=ODBC; DSN=xxx
> ;DATABASE=yyy;"

At a minimum, you can get away with just "DSN=xxx".
The database name would usually be specified in the
DSN, and ADO assumes ODBC by default.

I personally like the simplicity of working with
DSN's, but that does add a portability issue, being
the need to create a DSN wherever the application is
deployed. That may or may not be an issue for you,
depending on the environment in which you are working.
Some people like to do without DSN's by specifying
all necessary parameters in the connection string. I
haven't messed much with this, but AFAIK the psqlodbc
driver will use default values for all settings not
explicitly specified, so you don't need to provide a
full connection string in any case.

> An ADO recordset equivalent for the TABLE=zzz
> parameter could be:
>
> recordset1.Open ''zzz", connection_name

Yes.