Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
Date: 2004-03-23 22:03:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:53:42PM -0000, matt(at)ymogen(dot)net wrote:

> is way down the priority list compared with IO throughput, stability,
> manageability, support, etc etc.

Indeed, if our Suns actually diabled the broken hardware when they
died, fell over, and rebooted themselves, I'd certainly praise them
to heaven. But I have to say that the really very good reporting of
failing memory has saved me some headaches.

> environment, I'd take the Sun every day of the week, assuming that those
> compile option changes have sorted out the oddly slow PG performance at
> last.

I seem to have hit a bad batch of Dell hardware recently, which makes
me second this opinion.

I should say, also, that my initial experience of AIX has been
extremely good. I can't comment on the fun it might involve in the
long haul, of course.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie