Re: Advocacy Downloads out of date

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advocacy Downloads out of date
Date: 2004-03-23 20:54:54
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 14:30, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> Here's a crazy idea, how about if I give you a short php snippet that
> goes to the latest branch in the ftp site, and always grabs the latest
> version information and provides links, and looks identical to whats
> there, then theoretically the page will always be up to date without any
> work?

Please do... it's so far down on my todo list I've about given up on it. The
code is in cvs in the pgweb project on gborg... hopefully we dont have too
many cowboy changes going on the production servers

<snip>
> >BTW... I saw that links to rpm packages are.. let me write it:
> >
> >http://www.postgresql.org/ftpsite/binary/v7.4.2/redhat/redhat-9/postgresql
> >-7.4.2-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> >
> >Instead of this, what about removing the package from the link; so that
> >people can see the directory structure and download all packages?
> >i.e
> >http://www.postgresql.org/ftpsite/binary/v7.4.2/redhat/redhat-9/

It's been discussed in the past and the decision basically came down against
it. We link to the "one true package" in order to reduce complexity for the
end users....

Robert Treat