Re: Postmaster not dropping connections on tomcat restart.

From: Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: dinakar <din_akar(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postmaster not dropping connections on tomcat restart.
Date: 2004-03-22 18:09:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 22/03/2004 16:15 dinakar wrote:

> Even i have the same problem what Paul Davis said with
> respect to connection,
>
> >>Is the connection pool defined within you web app's
> >>context?
> yes i have defined the pool in the server.xml file and
> reference in the web.xml file.

That's not what I meant. Refer to the Tomcat docs and you'll see that you
can declare resources in various places. I declare my connection pool
stuff with my apps <Context></Context> block. I do this primarily because
I can then put all of this in a seperate XML file named myapp.xml and just
drop this file into Tomcat 4.1's webapps directory (again, refer to
Tomcat's docs for this). As I'm sure you know, Tomcat gives each web app
its own class loader so that when I stop my app, the connection pool also
gets closed down and PostgreSQL cleans up its connections. But if you
declare your connection pool outside of any context, I doubt that it would
be closed down except when you stop Tomcat itself.

> pls provide us a solution.

I don't have a solution. I _never_ get the problem. All I can suggest is
that you try it my way and see if helps. Other than that, you need to get
support from the Tomcat lists.

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business |
| Computer Consultants |
http://www.thomas-micro-systems-ltd.co.uk |