Re: Import from Ms Excel

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: psql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Import from Ms Excel
Date: 2004-03-16 11:47:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:42:45PM +0200, Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> Another fancy lib (although not necessarilly pgsql specific),
> is the POI project from jakarta.
> You can read/write M$ XLS documents from java, and
> subsequently (via jdbc) manipulate pgsql tables.
>
> The good part is that you can dynamically generate an excel file
> with arbitary content.

You can do the same thing (I have done it) with Perl using the Pg and
WriteExcel modules. Excel has a lot of pretty annoying limitations,
though, and it's fairly dangerous to get too dependent on it for this
sort of thing, as you can easily run into its limitations. I suppose
it depends on how big your resulting spreadsheets are going to be.
In my experience, though, the first thing that happens when you
deliver someone a summary spreadsheet is, they ask you for the raw
data so they can double-check it.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie