Re: The big MySQL spin

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The big MySQL spin
Date: 2004-03-15 20:41:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:34:01PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> > Also, it
> > seems to make for remarkably few political struggles.
>
> Not really ... mostly we're just good at keeping our struggles out of the
> public eye, and focused on "what's good for PostgreSQL."

Where I come from, political struggles that stay out of the public
eye are just disagreements. I guess my point is mostly (as you note)
that the real force seems to have to do with reason rather than naked
appeal to power. And while I may have a great deal of sympathy with
Foucault, I don't go for the line that there's simply no difference
at all between, "You shouldn't write your code that way because it
breaks on SCO," and, "You shouldn't write your code that way because
I won't let it get committed if you do." Both are good arguments in
favour of writing your code differently; only one of them gives you
an inkling why anyone would care what you did.

Ok, I'm putting the philosopher back in its box now. Bye bye,
philosopher. Please go away :)