Re: Log rotation

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log rotation
Date: 2004-03-13 14:36:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 12 March 2004 03:21 pm, Fernando Nasser wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Uh, we have many many many different ways to use syslog. So my other
> > message on the topic.

> Which other message?

The one I didn't post. :-)

> Anyway, Syslog is not an option for us. We need flat files.

Ok, riddle me this:

If I have PostgreSQL set to log to syslog facility LOCAL0, and a local0.none
on /var/log/messages and local0.* to /var/log/pgsql (assuming only one
postmaster, unfortunately) then you get a flat file.

I can see that in a multipostmaster setting how you might want some
differentiation between postmasters, but ISTM that the tool reading these
logs should be trained in how to separate loglines out. I use a product
called SmoothWall as a firewall/VPN solution, and its log reporting modules
split out loglines in this way, so that I can have the ipsec logs in one
browser page and the l2tp logs elsewhere, and the ppp logs elsewhere, and the
kernel logs elsewhere....

Or you'll have to include some other log rotator.

> > Uh, upgrading? I'm sure we have more reports about upgrading than
> > logging.

> Yeah, but that only comes with a full version upgrade :-)

Which is quite often. And people tend to upgrade as part of the OS upgrade,
which could easily be every other version (in the case of Fedora). Upgrading
from RHAS 2.1 to RHEL3 (I know it's not supported) should prove to be an
interesting one.

> The logging one keeps popping up as people try and use the server for
> production.

Yes, and for the vast majority of cases syslog is enough solution for the job.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology