Re: pgFoundry WAS: On pgweb project

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgFoundry WAS: On pgweb project
Date: 2004-03-10 03:36:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Tom,
>
> > Why is it not part of postgresql.org? Seems like making it a different
> > domain will increase the perception of separateness from the core
>
> part of postgresql.org was the original thought. But it messes with the
> ability to give projects their own subdomains, i.e. slony.pgfoundry.org.
>
> Marc, you want to remark on this?

The original thought was to allocate the postgresql.net domain to the
GForge project, so that we could easily have jdbc.postgresql.net,
pgadmin3.postgresql.net, etc ... for individual "project web pages" ...
then the main site would be www.postgresql.net, but Andrew brought up the
point that it would raise confusion between it and postgresql.org, and
suggested going wiht something like pgfoundry.org for it ...

As to the "increase the perception of seperateness" ... with David
increasing awareness of, and promoting the use of, RSS feeds, and with
GForge having code in place already for doing this, we'll be able to tie
the pgfoundry site into the postgresql.org site quite effectively, I think

postgresql.org == the core / central project ... pgfoundry.org is all the
third party (ie. not part of the core distribution) applications and
interfaces that tie into and support the server itself ...

----