Re: a group of superuser

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, sferriol <sylvain(dot)ferriol(at)imag(dot)fr>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a group of superuser
Date: 2004-03-09 16:53:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 15:02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> sferriol wrote:
> > i'm creating a database with different groups of users.
> > but i have one group which is the administrators of the system.
> > i would like to enable all members of this group to have the rights
> > to create another users.
> >
> > how can i do that with a GROUP in postgres?
>
> It's not possible.

However, you probably could:
1. write a function (as a superuser) that creates users
2. let it run with the permissions of the creator
3. grant access to your target group.

You'll want to read up on the SECURITY DEFINER attributes of CREATE FUNCTION
and probably the EXECUTE command of plpgsql.

Note - I haven't tried this myself, so if it does work it would be helpful to
let the list know.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd