Re: Publish SPF records for postgresql.org?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Publish SPF records for postgresql.org?
Date: 2004-03-02 20:58:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:40:33 -0800,
Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net> wrote:
> Notice that SPF only checks the envelope MAIL FROM line, or as some people
> call it the SMTP from, not the header from. Modern mailing lists (like the
> one postgresql uses) rewrites that as it is now, so forwarding will not
> break with SPF. (Notice that it is comparing the IP address of the server I
> got mail from with the domain "postgresql.org". Since there are no SPF
> records for postgresql.org, it can't check yet.)

The case I am talking about is for a person that gets email from a postgres
mailing list at server A and forwards it to server B. If server B checks
SPF records it will reject this message because it is not coming from a
server authorized to use postgresql.org as an envelope sender domain.
This is something that probably won't affect many people, but it would
still be nice to give people a heads up before turning it on. That way
they can adjust things so the mail gets through. (By such methods as
using SRS on server A or changing their subscription address to server B.)