Re: [ADMIN] Schema comparisons

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Alex J(dot) Avriette" <alex(at)posixnap(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Lubratt <mark(dot)lubratt(at)indeq(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Schema comparisons
Date: 2004-02-29 16:59:37
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Saturday 28 February 2004 21:23, Alex J. Avriette wrote:

> > > Yes, I did. It was quite cumbersome. Especially since the OIDs and
> > > TOC entry numbers didn't matchup; and, since those didn't always match,
> > > the order of objects wasn't quite the same either. So, diff was
> > > throwing a lot of false positives at me.
> >
> > Yeah. CVS-tip pg_dump doesn't show OIDs by default, to make it easier
> > to use for purposes like this. The ordering issue is the bigger problem
> > though. I presume that the object creation history is different in the
> > two databases and so pg_dump's habit of sorting by OID isn't helpful.
>
> I recently had to figure out what was different between the "live" schema
> and the schema in cvs at work. This was a really painful process, and it
> occurred to me that it wouldn't be terribly hard to write a perl program
> to do it (I wound up using vim and diff). Is there interest in such a tool?
> I could probably have one written within a day or two.

I've gone the vim-diff route in the past myself, but a nice command line tool
to do it written in perl could certianly be nice. If nothing else you could
toss it up on gborg. Incidentally I think there is already a tool that does
this on sourceforge, but it uses tcl and requires a running webserver, so
it's a little overbearing for most peoples needs imho.

Robert Treat