Re: CVS HEAD compile warning

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD compile warning
Date: 2004-02-27 07:41:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:44:52AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I knew at the time that ecpg was the only one of our lexers in which
> echo-to-stdout could conceivably be a reasonable default rule. But
> since flex 2.5.4 did not complain, I went ahead and committed the
> addition in ecpg as well as everyplace else.

Actually it was actively used back in earlier versions of ecpg, but I
thought it wasn't anymore.

> At this point I think our first question is whether flex 2.5.31 is
> correctly detecting a hole in the ecpg lexer rules that was missed by
> flex 2.5.4, or whether the warning is simply wrong.

Yes, that's it. The big problem seems to be that flex does not have a
way to help finding that hole.

> If the warning is valid, you need to decide whether you like the idea of
> a default spit-to-stdout action, or you'd prefer to put in an additional
> flex rule to cover the missing case.

I'd prefer to program my own default rule.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De