Re: Help with a query

From: Erwin Van de Velde <erwin(dot)vandevelde(at)ua(dot)ac(dot)be>
To: Alexander Cohen <alex(at)toomuchspace(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with a query
Date: 2004-02-26 22:08:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Without further information, this is rather difficult, but assuming that you
have a table with userdata with a primary key UID and a unique UserName, and
that you have a table of usergroups with a primary key GID and unique
GroupName, the best way is to make a third table Users_Usergroups e.g.
where you put the couples (UIDX, GIDX) for a user with UID=UIDX and who is in
group GIDX.
The query would then be:
SELECT GroupName FROM Users_Usergroups JOIN Users ON Users.UID =
Users_Usergroups.UID JOIN Usergroups ON Usergroups.GID = Users_Usergroups.GID
WHERE UserName Like 'The User';

Greetings,
Erwin Van de Velde
Student of University of Antwerp