Re: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion

From: Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Laurent Ballester" <postgresql(dot)ballester(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion
Date: 2004-02-25 11:22:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hi,

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 11:56, Laurent Ballester wrote:
[...]
> To summarize, I have two different errors types:
>

> 1) postmaster crash at start up because it "could not attach to proper
> memory at fixed address: shmget(key=5432001, addr=014D0000) failed: No such
> file or directory"
>

> I update postgresql.conf with max_connections = 5 and now this error does
> not appear too much.
>

> 2) If I launch postmaster again, it start and listen to port 5432, I
> have only a warning "select() failed in statistics collector" before
> "database system is ready". After a quick reading of source code, it
> doesn't seem too important.
>

> On a client side, "psql template1" or "createdb mydb" failed to connect to
> postmaster. The error was "server closed the connection unexpectedly..."
> while the server said "could not receive data from client: No such file or
> directory, incomplete startup packet".
>

> I continue to investigate.

Well, I don't see those errors at all.
Especially the 'shmget' error seems strange. I had this one until I started
postmaster with -i (and the select()... error).
My max_connections is still 500.

Furthermore I called 'createdb -h localhost dbname' (and 'psql -h ...'), that
worked fine.

Greetings,
Joerg
--
Leading SW developer - S.E.A GmbH
Mail: joerg(dot)hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com