Re: connection dropping continued

From: Josh Endries <jendries(at)pragmeta(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connection dropping continued
Date: 2004-02-17 15:03:13
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tuesday, February 17, 2004 13:03, Markus Wollny wrote:
> Referring to
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg02050.html
> , I'd like to ask if there's going to be some remedy to the problem any
> time in the near future? We're using PGAdmin III and it's really an
> extremely useful admin-tool for PostgeSQL, but this issue is really
> quite unnerving, though it may not be the apllication's fault at all:

We have this problem also between developers (WinXP and Win2K) and our
FreeBSD server (on another network, behind firewalls, using SSL, but not
NATed), and it ends up filling up all the connections to the DB so nobody
can get in until Postgres is restarted. It didn't seem to happen to me on
Linux, but I didn't use it as much as the devs did, so it may/may not be
linked to Windows as well. It's really a hassle, especially when
developing. No other client has the problem, be it psql, mysql, mysqlcc,
or any other program like ssh or ftp. We lost many hours testing, changing
config settings and kernel options, testing networking stuff, and
generally just dealing with this problem. We got the DB done eventually so
it "went away". Thankfully Apache/PHP is now the only DB client which
connects locally and has no problems.

Don't get my wrong, I like pgadmin, it's a great admin tool, and version 3
is pretty slick. I know the problem isn't necessarily a pgadmin issue, and
seems more network-related, but a keep-alive option, possibly with
user-definable SQL statement or something, would be nice to have (would
help troubleshoot problems at least).

Josh