Re: libpgtcl.dll for tcl 8.4?

From: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: sandro(dot)dentella(at)tin(dot)it (Sandro Dentella)
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpgtcl.dll for tcl 8.4?
Date: 2004-02-13 03:01:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Sandro Dentella wrote:
> I've been asked for the library libpgtcl.dll compiled for tcl 8.4. Does
> anybody know where to find it?
>
> Some time ago I found libpgtcl.dll for 8.0, 8.2 and 8.3 in pgaccess
> boundle.I put it in my site (www.tksql.org) and since then many people
> downloaded it, but I never found libpgtcl for 8.4, nor I have any knowledge
> to compile under windows.
>
> Is there anybody that can help me for that?

I have two answers to your question:

Answer 1) Might your application work with pgin.tcl? This is my pure-Tcl
interface to PostgreSQL. Within its limitations, it is command-compatible
with libpgtcl, though slower. As it is all in Tcl, it doesn't require libpq
or any compilation. If your tksql works with pgin.tcl, you won't need any
libraries, and your application should run anywhere Tcl exists.
You can find it at
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgintcl/
Note: pgintcl-1.5.0 is the older version for PostgreSQL-7.3 (also talks to
7.4, but without the new features.) The new pgintcl-2.0.0 for PostgreSQL-7.4
and up will be on Gborg real soon; only a beta pgintcl-2.0b1 is there now.

Answer 2) I have built Windows DLLs for libpq and my own version of
libpgtcl, using Borland C, for use with ActiveState ActiveTcl-8.4.5 and
PostgreSQL-7.4.1. But they can't be downloaded anywhere yet. I offered to
take over the libpgtcl project on Gborg
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgtcl/
which seems dormant, and make a release including Windows DLLs, but I was
told the current admins don't want to give it up. I haven't decided whether
to join their project, fork my own project, or just keep my version for
myself.