Re: RFC: Security documentation

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFC: Security documentation
Date: 2004-02-11 17:46:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:24:56PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> The problem with this approach, of course, is that large application
> developers generally like to make the database fairly "passive" and put all
> business & security logic in the middleware. I do think it would be useful
> for them to realize that they are sacrificing a significant portion of their
> data security by doing so.

Perhaps what would be best is some kind of a 'best practices' guide.
There's far more that people should consider beyond just quoting
strings; Josh's example is just one thing.

If written carefully, such a guide could serve both experienced DBAs as
well as people who are very new to databases, since every database has
it's own prefered way of doing things.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant jim(at)nasby(dot)net