Re: BLOB issue(s) & questions

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Derek Shaw <derek(at)bisi(dot)ca>, pgsql-odbc <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOB issue(s) & questions
Date: 2004-02-09 21:04:14
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Monday 09 February 2004 20:30, Derek Shaw wrote:
> one last attempt:
>
> I am working with a window-manufacturing firm (the real thing!). One of
> the reasons we are about to choose one of the vertical-market
> applications is that they claim ODBC compliance, and "Using other ODBC
> compliant database engines should not present a problem but may require
> some additional testing..." This is in stark contrast to all the other
> vendors who require MSSQL on the back end (or an AS400), and the usual
> windoziness about why you'd want to do anything else.
>
> When I asked about using PostgreSQL this is the reply I received:
> > I discussed PostureSQL with Paul and his technical director sent me
> > the following comment:
> >
> > PostgreSQL is open source and so far they have not agreed on a blob
> > field properly we use blob fields for the item bitmap, old
> > conservatory data and meta files for graphics. An ODBC driver is
> > available and describes how to fudge a blob field but it says that it
> > does not clean them up properly when updating. I suggest moving to
> > MySQL which is also open source ??

Without knowing more about their real issues, the only thing I can suggest is
to look at the mini-howto on the pgsqlodbc site:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/genpage.php?howto-index
There's a large-object item in the list.

There are also bitstring and bytearray types that might serve for their
purposes, but I'm afraid I can't comment on their use via ODBC since I've
never needed them.

I don't know of the issue regarding blobs not updating properly. I haven't
heard of any such problem.

It's difficult to say more without knowing what their issues are.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd