Re: Proper tool to display graphics?

From: "David L(dot) Zoll" <dzoll(at)nyscul(dot)org>
To: Carlos Ojea Castro <carlosojea(at)leveltelecom(dot)es>
Cc: Pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proper tool to display graphics?
Date: 2004-02-09 20:01:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:19:16PM +0100, Carlos Ojea Castro wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I want to display graphics from my postgresql database, but I must
> choose the proper tool first.
> Which one is more suitable?:
> perl?
> php?
> pg_autodoc?
> another one?

It's hard to tell what you are asking, since you give very little
detail.

pgautodoc (http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/) creates UML diagrams of the
database structure, sutable for use in HTML, Dia, Dot/GraphViz and
Docbook. If that's what you are looking for, you might find it very
useful.

If you are looking to display graphics stored in a database, or
generate dynamic graphics based on data in the database, you're out of
luck with pgautodoc. In those cases, perl, php and python all are
good. They each have unique advantages and disadvantages, use what
you're most comfortable with.

If you are looking to generate dynamic graphics based on data stored
in the database, make sure to check out the GD library. All three
languages (perl, php and python) have APIs for GD available.

Best of Luck
-Gleef (David Zoll, NYSCUL)