Re: using pgsql-odbc with ASP and ADO

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Ayers <aayers(at)eldocomp(dot)com>, Jan Novak <jan(dot)novak(at)interbis(dot)cz>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using pgsql-odbc with ASP and ADO
Date: 2004-02-02 19:30:40
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- Andrew Ayers <aayers(at)eldocomp(dot)com> wrote:
> Jan Novak wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i'm using pgsql-odbc driver for connection to my
> postgres sql server and
> > everything works fine.
> > But today i made some application with text areas
> with large content
> > (>32kB) and i'm in trouble ....
> >
> > If I just fetch data from database
> > set objRS = Connection.execute "SELECT * FROM
> ""table"" where id=23"
> > and use them : response.write objRS("largeConent")
> > i get displayed only something like 8kB of data.
> >
> > When i tried using

objRS("fieldName").getChunk(objRS("fieldName").actualSize)
> i got an
> > error message : *ADODB.Field error '800a0c93',
> Operation is not allowed
> > in this context.*
> > .actualSize contains correct value and i even
> tried using .getchunk(100)
> > with same result every time ....
> >

> > Does anyone seen this before ? It's quite
> important for me, cause i'd
> > like to use postgres sql server as backend server
> for many other
> > applications, but many of them will be IIS5+ with
> vbScript, so if i'm
> > not able to use large data i have to try something
> else :-(, and i don't
> > want to .....
>
> In your ODBC settings for the connection, check
> under the "Datasource"
> page of the Advanced Options (page 1) - if your Data
> Type Options has
> "Text as LongVarChar" checked (I think this is the
> default), then check
> and see what "Max LongVarChar" is set to below it,
> in "Miscellanous"
> (should be set to 8190 as default) - try bumping
> this number up.

This sounds a lot like the problem reported here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=02d401c3e0f8%24539c76a0%243d283ddb%40PbgX&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dcomp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.odbc

(Apologies for the long URL and the wrapping). You
might want to try the snapshot .dll to see if it works
for you.

> On a related note - I have a question for everyone
> else:
>
> If "Text as LongVarChar" is unchecked, what does the
> Text datatype come
> back as? In other words, is there some way to set

That depends on what the app you are using maps to the
SQL type "LongVarChar". For example, MS Access maps
it to its "Memo" datatype.

> the ODBC driver to
> ignore any sizing constraints? Leaving it as-is, and
> modifying a number
> to a really large value (if you don't know how big a
> field will get),
> while it should work, doesn't seem like the optimum
> way to do it...

I've never had a problem with the default values, but
then, I've never gotten too ambitious about data
storage, either.