Re: Can a user change their own password?

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: chris(at)zenmgt(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can a user change their own password?
Date: 2004-02-02 14:24:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 chris(at)zenmgt(dot)com wrote:

> I want to use postgreses user name and password capability to allow
> web-bases users to log in and be authenticated. I also want to go the user
> the capability to change their own password. Is this possible? How would
> it be done?

Did you get any replies.. didn't see any.

Is this for a program you are writing?
If so the most common way I see authentication implemented is to have a
table with user/password, but only one user ID connect to the database.

When a user logs in you check the table (ie users) and if you find a
matching ID/pass you let them in.

To change the password you simply would change the password field for the
given user on the user table.

If you give more details about what you are trying to do perhaps we can be
more usefull.

If you are an ISP and want to allow each user access to their DB then it's
a different scenario.

Also with schemas you can now allow multiple users to access a database,
but yet only have access to their own schemas.