simple update closes connection. why?

From: joseph speigle <joe(dot)speigle(at)jklh(dot)us>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: simple update closes connection. why?
Date: 2004-02-01 01:42:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi,

this simple update closes the connection. I use the database to dynamically update titles and directory on my web pages.

I show table structure first then the command then, uh, the closed connection.

calling=# \d calling;
Table "public.calling"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------+------------------------+-----------
filename | character varying(40) |
description | character varying(180) |
uname | character varying(30) |
Indexes: unique_filename unique btree (filename),
unique_filename_idx btree (filename)

calling=# select * from calling limit 5;
filename | description | uname
-----------------+-------------------------------------+-------
c_java_python | |
conf | old conf directory |
mod_perl_webapp | main weba pplication, now a symlink |
python | |
ssh+ssl | |
(5 rows)

calling=# update calling set uname='pencilhead';
before or while processing the request.
!# \q
[pencilhead(at)www postgres]$ psql -d calling
Password:

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

calling=# select count(*) from calling;
count
-------
1683
(1 row)

calling=# \dp calling
Access privileges for database "calling"
Schema | Table | Access privileges
public | calling | {=,pencilhead=arwdRxt}
(1 row)

joe speigle