Re: Routine maintenance - vacuum, analyse and autovacuum

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Iain <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Routine maintenance - vacuum, analyse and autovacuum
Date: 2004-01-29 13:08:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 18:59:28 +0900,
Iain <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

I haven't used auto_vacuum, but I seen comments on the lists indicating
that it works OK.

> If I start a VACUUM FULL, is it ok to interrupt it part way through? I mean,
> is a partially completed vacuum full worth anything, and is there any danger
> in routinely killing it?

With 7.4 you shouldn't have to do VACUUM FULL. If you have FSM set high
enough, then normal VACUUM should suffice. The exception would be if
you ran something that may the DB much larger than normal and you wanted
to shrink the space used by the DB. Then you would need to run a VACUUM FULL.