Re: pl/pgSQL versus pl/Python

From: James William Pye <flaw(at)rhid(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/pgSQL versus pl/Python
Date: 2004-01-27 23:35:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01/27/04:04/2, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> With the new preload option is there any benefit/drawback to using
> pl/Python versus
> pl/pgSQL? And no... I don't care that pl/Python is now considered
> untrusted.

Feature-wise I'm not exactly sure how pl/Python matches up against pl/pgSQL, but I'd bet on pl/pgSQL being more mature, as pl/Python was rather rough the last time I looked at its source(7.3.x).

No docs yet, and parts are immature as well, but if you're not afraid of playing with some dirty source, you can checkout my Python PL project on gborg.
Once I get it cleaned up and throw in a few more implementation details(oh yes, the fun ones =\), I'll make a more formal announcement on hackers to get some criticisms and pointers before a formal release.(I announced intent about 3-4 months ago and have been working on it infrequently since then.)

gborg.postgresql.org/project/postgrespy
(use cvs, co the modules pl and if)

If you are in no particular hurry, I would suggest waiting until this is done(may be a while still). It should be quite an improvement to pl/Python in many aspects.

Regards,
James William Pye