Re: Patch to readd documentation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to readd documentation
Date: 2004-01-27 18:50:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> Well, we will certainly have to produce a source package. My
> understanding is that even for the main tree the packager doesn't
> produce the documentation from source, but simply uses a provided
> .tar.gz file of the html doc. This seems like a reasonable thing to
> do as well (although I can't say I understand putting a compressed
> archive inside of a compressed archive.) Where these actually go is
> up to the actual packager.

The traditional approach for a source package is to prebuild as much as
you can while remaining portable. Typically, this includes things like
yacc, and it certainly includes the documentation. So far, the JDBC
driver hasn't had anything it could prebuild before shipping a source
package, so currently there is no difference between CVS and a source
package. But it seems like a good time to start.

Btw., the only reason that the server package pulls these tricks with
the documentation is so that you can still build snapshot source
packages when the documentation happens to be broken. I wouldn't worry
about that. Before long we'll have the documentation build worked out
and it will run like a clockwork.

> We could certainly produce a "packager's package" which contained the
> prebuilt jar files and documentation. Packaging instructions are
> great, but what we'll really need to do is advertise our availability
> to help and be responsive to maintainers.

Just put the spec files in your CVS and be your own maintainer. That
way you keep everything under control.