Re: Clarify libpq docs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clarify libpq docs
Date: 2004-01-26 18:02:59
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Please don't put tabs in SGML files.
>
> That's a new one on me. Why should we avoid tabs? The existing
> files are certainly full of them.

Those are just the files that I haven't edited recently and gave the old
"M-x untabify" treatment...

I ask that tabs be avoided for two reasons: One, we use a one-character
indentation in the source, so it's no use that only every 8th
indentation level is made by a tab, it's just annoying when you're
editing. (The only other indentation scheme for SGML/XML that I see
used is two spaces, so I don't think going to 4 or 8 spaces is in
question.) Two, when rendering, the tabs have questionable meaning.
In HTML they are treated like a single space, who knows what they mean
in a PDF with variable width fonts.