Re: Hierarchal data

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)hank(dot)org>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hierarchal data
Date: 2004-01-25 19:03:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:54:06AM -0800, Joe Conway wrote:
> Bill Moseley wrote:
> >I didn't receive much feedback from this post. Would psql-general be a
> >better list to post this question? Or is there a better place to ask a
> >general database design question?
> >

> Try searching the mail archives for pgsql-general and maybe pgsql-sql
> first. This topic has been discussed in great depth more than once, and
> there are many expressed opinions on the "best" way to tackle it.

That's what I assumed, and I had tried searching the archives at:

http://archives.postgresql.org/search.php

without much luck.

I tried things like "directory", "hierarchy", "dmoz", "recursive" so I
think I'm not being creative enough in my searches.

Do you by chance remember any terms from those threads that would be
good for searching?

> One solution you could look at is connectby() in contrib/tablefunc.
> Another is contrib/ltree. And as I said, many others discussed in the
> archives.

Thanks, I'm looking at those now. And
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/ looks helpful. I can
see it will take some time to grok.