Re: vpath build (was Re: cvsignore)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vpath build (was Re: cvsignore)
Date: 2004-01-24 20:13:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 02:46:06PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> > I am currently building outside the source tree so that I don't have
> > these problems. It works fine, except that some files are created in
> > the source tree anyway. I think it's mostly output from bison and flex:

[...]

> Personally I don't use vpath much and don't really care if we change
> that behavior --- any other opinions out there?

Maybe I just need to teach diff how to use the .cvsignore files.

> > Also, the regression tests can be run fine with "make installcheck", but
> > if I want to run the parallel schedule, I have to point pg_regress to
> > the source dir. Maybe the file could be copied to the build dir ...
>
> That's an oversight, surely; but ISTM it worked last time I tried it.

Checking the makefile, I see that "make installcheck" uses the serial
schedule, while "make check" uses the parallel one. Is this
intentional? I see this dates to the time those rules were invented,
GNUmakefile 1.24 ...

Maybe there should be rules to do a install-parallel and install-serial,
and others to do temp-install-parallel and temp-install-serial ... or
maybe just use some envvar to select the schedule to use.

"I personally became interested in Linux while I was dating an English major
who wouldn't know an operating system if it walked up and bit him."
(Val Henson)