Re: pg_atoi error

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: LIANHE SHAO <lshao2(at)jhmi(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_atoi error
Date: 2004-01-23 16:22:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Please keep threads on the mailing list.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 15:32:47 +0000,
LIANHE SHAO <lshao2(at)jhmi(dot)edu> wrote:

> > > So, How can I avoid these annoying message?
> >
> > You can either have your application handle
> obviously bogus data or
> > you can write a function in postgres that converts
> text to int using
> > whatever rules you want for assigning values to
> nonnumeric strings.
> >

> The above query is simple, but my query sometimes is
> kind of complex. If I have to manually deal with
> each possible bogus data or use functions to convert
> each string to number, beside lot of overhead, maybe
> there are somethings you still forget to do. Seems
> it does not solve the problem completely.

This doesn't make sense. If you want to treat all garbage data as being
the same as 0, just write a function to do it. If you don't know what to
do with the garbage data, how do you expect Postgres to do the right thing
on its own.