Re: updatable resultsets -> SQLException: -1

From: Guido Fiala <guido(dot)fiala(at)dka-gmbh(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: updatable resultsets -> SQLException: -1
Date: 2004-01-21 08:10:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Am Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2004 03:11 schrieben Sie:
> > rs.updateString(2,"abc");
> > rs.updateRow();
> > rs.previous();//show some other record
> > rs.next();//go back to modified one
> > //now the above record has strangely enough vanished from my ResultSet
> > !!! //how do i get it back? (the ResulSet gives me at that position the
> > values of the previous-record instead) rs.updateString(2,"xyz");
> > rs.updateRow();//now i get the SQLException -1
>
> You have apparently not navigated back to the original row. The attached
> program shows the error you are getting. The error message is completely
> unhelpful here, but it is your code that isn't working.

The question is for me - would have the above code navigate back to the same record?

For me it looks like this:

(see attached code, it throws no excpetion)

The result is with one next():
a b
1 zzz
2 aaa
3 world

But i would expect it should be:
a b
1 hello
2 zzz
3 world

Do i need to requery the ResultSet to get the updated record back?
I would have to remember the primary-key of the record i was editing, to be able to jump back to the correct record after requery.
Which would be going through a loop until i find my record again as i can not assume that the records are ordered by primary key.
What a waste of CPU!

Am i supposed to actually do that?

Guido

Attachment Content-Type Size