Re: Adding long text to a text field generates an error

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ben Ramsey <br(at)benandliz(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding long text to a text field generates an error
Date: 2004-01-19 22:33:27
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- Ben Ramsey <br(at)benandliz(dot)com> wrote:
> > Please post your ODBC driver settings. The table
> > definitions and the sql you are using may be
> helpful
> > also.
>
> I was ready to post my code and table definition and
> everything, and
> then I opened up the driver settings for the DSN
> that connects to the
> database, clicked on the "Datasource" options
> button, which launched a
> window with all sorts of options. Here's what I
> found:
>
> "Text as LongVarChar" is checked.
> "Max LongVarChar" is set to 8190.
>
> Should I uncheck "Text as LongVarChar"? What will
> it do if I uncheck
> it? If I shouldn't uncheck it, then what should I
> set "Max LongVarChar"
> to in order to allow unlimited amounts of text?

"Text" in this context refers to the PostgreSQL
datatype "text". Whether the setting matters depends
on whether "text" is what you are using, and on what
LongVarChar maps to in your environment. For example,
in MS Access it maps to "memo", which has limitations
(e.g. cannot be included in the where clause of a
query).

I think better just to up the number. Pick a big
number, and see what happens. While you are at it, up
the Max VarChar setting, too.