Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql)

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: embedded/"serverless" (Re: serverless postgresql)
Date: 2004-01-16 22:15:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:00:35PM -0800, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

> having PG as an embedded database have never used one. I think Tom, for
> example, has been focusing on enterprise-level applications too much to
> think about the personal applications, and Chris, I'm going to guess

This seems to suggest that Postgres should focus on something other
than enterprise-level applications, and (presumably) on something
else.

Frankly, I am _mighty glad_ that the developers are focussed on
enterprise-level applications. That's what makes Postgres eligible
to back enterprise-level software. Applications that try to do
everything for everyone tend to end up doing nothing very well. I
don't think one needs to look too hard to discover examples of that
phenomenon.

This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
--Dennis Ritchie