Re: Requirements for updated site

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Alexey Borzov" <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Requirements for updated site
Date: 2004-01-15 17:29:59
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:
> > I presume that 99.9% of these is documentation. And it won't
> > be translated, at least not in *this* way.
>
> Why not? The whole point is to have *one* system for the whole site
> and not a mish-mash of different ways of building bits of the site.

Well, that's like saying we should edit all PostgreSQL source code in
assembly, because there is some assembly in there and for reasons of
consistency that should be the common denominator. ;-)

If, say, it were accomplished to extract gettext-style message catalogs
from both XHTML and DocBook, then translators could use the same set of
tools, and writers could use the same XML editors for everything. Just
the internal semantics are going to be different, but they will anyway,
because you're writing two different things. It would still be a
pretty good "one system" to me.

I keep saying "gettext", because that is the direction that the
documentation is most likely going to go in, because it's successfully
practiced at KDE and all the tools are available. Nothing is decided
yet, but some translators have expressed strong desires to go that way.
But I'm glad we're here to discuss it so we don't invent the wheel
twice more.