Re: Mailing list? was Postgress and MYSQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb(at)eskimo(dot)com>, Matt Davies <matt(at)mattdavies(dot)net>, Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>, Postgres general mailing list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2004-01-15 17:09:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com> writes:
> > On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 16:14, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> why not use pgsql-chat, which isn't being used at all right now ... ?
>
> > I have the impression that these "Postgres vs MySQL vs XXX" stuff is
> > regularly started up by newcomers to this list. So wherever you will
> > decide to move it, it will still pop up here - the new-comers will know
> > nothing about being elsewhere, except it is called something very-very
> > suggestive, like "postgres-mysql-compare".
> > Even then, it will pop up here too, and it carries the risk of heated
> > answers even from long term subscribers. Could this be really moderated
> > ?
> > If there is to be a new list, please name it very-very suggestively,
> > otherwise it has no point.
>
> I think this analysis is dead-on. Pointing to pgsql-chat won't
> accomplish anything.

No, but if ppl change the CC to pgsql-general to pgsql-chat, so that there
learn ...

Even if the Postgress and MYSQL thread was originally sent to -general, if
everyone that responded ot it changed pgsql-general -> pgsql-chat, then
the onoly thing that would have touched the -general list would have been
that original message ...

Its a matter of how much energy ppl are willing to expend on keeping the
lists more pure, that's all ...

again, as long as you CC in the person that started it originally, so that
they know that the topic has shifted to a different list ...

----