Re: Postgress and MYSQL

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: "Keith C(dot) Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>, Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>, Ben <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgress and MYSQL
Date: 2004-01-15 00:47:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:29:32PM -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> Mensaje citado por "Keith C. Perry" <netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com>:
>

> > 3) Not being able to "find" something in via search BEFORE even reading the
> > documentation is somewhat backwards. You have to at least get a feel for
> > the docs before even know what to look for. That is not to say that the
> > search engine is not problematic but it is to say that I'm am more and
> > more
> > convinced that knowing how to search more important than what is being
> > searched for.
>
> I am totally against this kind of believes.
> Personally, I think that one of the most important caracteristics a book should
> have is a VERY GOOD INDEX. This makes the searching easier.

But the PG docs _have_ good indexes! (Much better than other docs for
open source projects I have seen.) I for one have always found what I
was looking for. Searching in a full text engine is a different matter
and I agree it is lousy (maybe that's the reason I don't use it
anymore).

> I had the 7.1 printed. Read most of it when my wife was in the hospital having
> my daughter, and I had to stay there 2 days. :-)

Go figure. Maybe I'll start thinking about children so I can have a
spare time to read documentation ... or maybe not ;-)

"I think my standards have lowered enough that now I think 'good design'
is when the page doesn't irritate the living f*ck out of me." (JWZ)