freebsd 5.2 and max_connections

From: David Hill <davidh(at)wmis(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: freebsd 5.2 and max_connections
Date: 2004-01-13 16:04:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello -
I am using postgresql to hold aliases, users, and relay_domains for postfix and courier to do lookups from. I am not storing mail in sql.

I need postgresql to have fast read performance, so i setup index's on the tables. Also, the queries are basically "select blah from table where domain='domain.com'";, so i dont need to be able to support large results.

I will have a lot of mail servers connecting to this postgresql db, so i need to support a lot of connections... but dont need to support large results.

I am using FreeBSD 5.2.

What are some tuning options and formulas I can use to get good values?

Thanks!
David