Re: Website and "open development"

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Website and "open development"
Date: 2004-01-12 13:37:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Well, I guess I ought to respond to this. Of course a little bit of searching
the archives would have given you these answers, but it's ok, it's not like I
have anything else to do. (Whats that? Weekly News? Huh?)

On Monday 12 January 2004 03:44, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> 1) There is no public maillist (I presume) for discussion of website
> matters.

pgsql-www is the list, archives available on the archive website.
(archives.postgresql.org)

2) If there are actually people who are responsible for the
> websites (I am starting to doubt) why don't they respond to suggestions in
> the public maillists?

Most of us are so busy that we barely have time to work on the website itself.
much less follow all of the mailing lists and give personal responses to
every suggestion that is made. (I'll admit that this is unfortunate, but just
wishing it weren't so doesn't actually make the problem go away).

3) Where is the CVS repository with websites code? Is
> there even one?

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/cvs/cvs.php

it contains the code for the main www page and the advocacy page, and has some
outdated code for techdocs that I am looking to get brought back into line
with the server code now that we've switched VM's. It also has the
unfinished code for adding multilingual capabilities to the main site, which
is the current feature most halting further development.

4) Why there is no single look and feel of community
> websites and why is information sometimes duplicated?

Because the previous list of maintainers all had seperate agendas and didn't
work as a team when building the individual sites. I've worked to try to
bring all of the sites under at least one umbrella of support, and once we
get past the multilingual tech for www, I think you'll see even more tangible
results.

> There is a talk now about doing marketing materials. Excuse me, but the
> goal of these materials is to lure people to the website. And the website
> in its current state will frighten them to death.

Well, you're more clued in now, if you're willing to roll up your sleeves take
a look at the www and portal modules of CV and send an email to the web
mailing list.

Robert Treat