Re: The Tutorial(TM)

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The Tutorial(TM)
Date: 2004-01-09 07:01:09
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thursday 08 January 2004 22:44, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I feel that there is a very useful dividing line between chapters 2 and
> > 3: chapter 2 is about getting the data in and out, to give beginners a
> > feeling that the database system is working, chapter 3 is about
> > refining the data structures for higher convenience, maintainability,
> > and integrity -- "design".
>
> Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to divide the material into 3
> chapters instead of 2 --- beginner, intermediate, advanced. Looking
> at the existing TOC:

Rather than putting a rating on a section, I would say let's leave the normal
and advanced section as it is and add another section which illustrates
"applying" postgresql/RDBMS to solve real problem.

e.g. illustrate how do you normalize and maintain foreign keys to integrity.
Then add cascade clause. Then views for denormalizing it.

If we illustrate a real world situation, it will be easy to grasp even if it
spans multiple concepts. And at the end of it cross reference to details
pages at the end of each illustration.

That way it will be bit more handholding rather than trying to gulp various
theoretical pieces.

> 2. The SQL Language
> 2.1. Introduction
> 2.2. Concepts
> 2.3. Creating a New Table
> 2.4. Populating a Table With Rows
> 2.5. Querying a Table
> 2.6. Joins Between Tables
> 2.7. Aggregate Functions
> 2.8. Updates
> 2.9. Deletions
> 3. Advanced Features
> 3.1. Introduction
> 3.3. Foreign Keys
> 3.4. Transactions
> 3.5. Inheritance
> 3.6. Conclusion

I am going to save that list or search later in archives...:-) Plan to work on
it if I get time.

Just a thought..

Shridhar