Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "'Tom Lane '" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'Jan Wieck '" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "'''pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org' ' '" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fork/exec patch: pre-CreateProcess finalization
Date: 2004-01-09 01:16:04
Lists: pgsql-patches

Claudio Natoli wrote:

> > BTW, how are we going to do cancels in Windows-land? The sub-postmaster
> > isn't gonna have access to the postmaster's list of child PIDs and
> > cancel keys ...
>
> Good question (the Win32/EXEC_BACKEND case is #def'd out to issue an
> altogether unhelpful abort(), so I know it is there).
>
> The only things I've thought of so far are:
> a) sticking the PID/cancel key list in shared mem [yeech]
> b) rearranging the entire cancel handling to occur in the postmaster [double
> yeech]

As I remember, the only per-backend value to be passed is the cancel
key, and seeing that this is going to be a problem for postmaster too, I
think we need to move in the direction of a separate fork/exec-only
shared memory segment that holds the pids and cancel keys for all the
backends.

I will update the Win32 TODO list to mention this issue in more detail.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us