Re: psql \i handling ~ in specified file name

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zach Irmen <zirmen(at)shaw(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \i handling ~ in specified file name
Date: 2004-01-08 18:04:12
Lists: pgsql-patches

Zach Irmen wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Here is a patch that handles "~" in all the file cases.
>
> Beat me to it. :)
>
> I do have a few issues that I was trying to sort out myself
> regarding this, but I guess now is as good a time as any to ask
> them here.
>
> First off, there should be a check after the malloc to make sure
> NULL wasn't returned in the expand_tilde function. I missed that
> one.

OK, test added. I see no way to recover from a malloc failure in this
case because we can't honor their specification of file name, so we have
to exit.

> Secondly, there are a couple of SQL commands (like COPY and
> LOAD) and psql commands handled outside command.c (like \copy)
> which also take filenames. I'm guessing that eventually you'll
> want substitution in those cases as well. So does this mean that
> the expand_tilde function probably should not be in command.c?
> Placing it in common.c seems the logical place to make it at
> least available to all the psql commands (\copy included).

Yes, seems like that will be required. Please use my attached version
to make the adjustments.

> And finally, I was wondering if arguments with leading pipes
> (e.g. "|~/file") should also get substituted.

Yep, that too.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size